06 October 2008

Omer Goldman (Wikipedia template)

[pic] [pic] [pix] [ditto]

"officially called Omer Granot" [cite]

sister born ?1981 [cite]

Born: 1989? [19yo in 2008] mother an artist [cite]

?1992: parents divorce [cite]

Home: Ramat HaSharon, Israel (suburb of Tel-Aviv) [cite]

[Facebook]


Jun 2007: father Natalin Granot [cite] 'N' [pic] (Iran expert) resigns as deputy head of Mossad, the Israeli intelligence service [cite]

...the crucial moment of her metamorphosis occurred this year when she went to a Palestinian village where the IDF had set up a roadblock. Someone she had considered her enemy all her life stood beside her and someone who was supposed to be defending her opened fire at her.

"We were sitting by the roadside talking and soldiers came along and after a few seconds they received an order and fired gas grenades and rubber bullets at us. Then it struck me, to my astonishment, that the soldiers were following an order without thinking. For the first time in my life an Israeli soldier raised his weapon and fired at me."

And when you told your father?

"Dad was astonished and angry that I had been there and endangered my life. After that we had conversations. He supported me as his daughter and we have a good relationship, but he is decidedly opposed to what I do and even more to my refusal to serve in the army."


joins 3000 Israeli high school students in Shministim ("twelfth graders", refuseniks) [cite]

Facebook letter: [etext]

Declaration of refusal:

I refuse to enlist in the Israeli military. I shall not be part of an army that needlessly implements a violent policy and violates the most basic human rights on a daily basis.

Like most of my peers, I too have not dared to question the ethics of the Israeli military. But when I visited the Occupied Territories I realized I see a completely different reality, a violent, oppressive, extreme reality that must be ended.

I believe in service to the society I am part of, and that is precisely why I refuse to take part in the war crimes committed by my country. Violence will not bring any kind of solution, and I shall not commit violence, come what may.


sentenced to 21 days in military prison on 22Sep 2008 (to 10Oct) [cite]

10Oct: re-tried, 14 more days [cite]

12Oct: profile in Times of London [ukTms] [3pg w/pix] [blog thread] [jPost thread] [Current thread] [RandiRhodes thread] [mWeiss thread]

22Nov: "back inside for another 21" [FT update]